E learning – merits and demerits
‘If you want to make anything smarter and more user friendly , just put an ‘e’ in front of it’
Internet has for sure changed our world , because of this miraculous technology literally everything is in our pocket and at our homes. It has touched almost every field out there so why not education? Luckily enough technology has an answer to this question as well ,it’s called “e-learning” which is precisely the answer to almost every question itself. A learning system specifically based on advanced formalized teaching but with the help of modern-day electronic and digital resources is known as E-learning.
In today’s world and especially according to the present pandemic scenario where whole world came to a standstill and people were deprived of even basic amenities ,e learning came out as a lifesaver for the education sector. It’s concise yet thorough nature has very effectively saved the precious time of educators and learners from going in vain. Earlier, it was not accepted as such as it was feared that this system lacked the human contact element required in learning. However, with the introduction of new technologies and methods which infact produced substantial results in every disciple , e – learning made it’s reach to the larger masses.
The revolution was the discovery of computer and threshold technologies such as our very own internet. with the passage of time, as we get hooked to smartphones, tablets,laptops etc, these devices now have an importance place in the classrooms for learning. Books are slowly being replaced by electronic educational materials like optical discs or pen drives that provide much larger storage and are immune to physical wear and tear besides environmental aspects are also being taken care of nowadays. Knowledge can also be shared via the Internet, which is accessible 24/7, anywhere, anytime.
Advantages Of eLearning
- You are efficiently able to link the various resources in various different formats such as pdf , word file , txt file etc.
- It is a very effective way of delivering courses online. Because of its convenience and flexibility, the resources are available and are viable from anywhere and at literally any time.
- Everyone, whether a part-time student or full time, can take advantage of online learning. It promotes active and independent learning. As you have access to the net 24x7, you can educate ourself anytime and from anywhere also.
- It is a very independent and self reliant technique ,you don't have to depend upon anyone at all
- Not only can you educate yourself on a daily basis, but also on weekends or whenever you have the free time to. There is no hard and fast rigid rule
- Through discussion sessions and live chats, you are able to interact with everyone online and can also clear your doubts if any.The visual aids provided for audio and video learning can be and seen and heard again and again if you do not understand the topic first time, thus saving you from the apparent embarrassment.
If you don't have the time to actually go to a University and attend classes, no need to panic at all. Earlier it would have been a major problem, as you would be unaware of how to manage that, but not anymore. With the endless amount of courses available online, you can actually sit at home and learn. Take whichever course at peace and at your convenience
Disadvantages Of eLearning
Well, there are not many disadvantages of eLearning,but every coin has two sides , the main disadvantage is that you get only theoretical knowledge and when it comes to putting to use whatever you have learnt, it may be a little different practically. The face to face human element is still missing if that matters to you.
- Almost all of the online tests and assessments are limited to objective questions only and hence cannot cover subjective topics.
- There is also the problem of cybersecurity offered online learning programs as there are many threats of breach.
- The authenticity could also be compromised as there is plenty of material on the world wide web to look upon.
- The computer marked assessments generally have a tendency of being only theoretical and not necessarily practicality-based.
To conclude, online learning should only complement and extend classical forms of learning. Not even the best online course can fully replace the personal one on one contact with a teacher, or the human relationships that develop in a group. So, traditional classes shouldn’t be replaced completely with online learning instead, they should both flourish hand in hand.
That’s all for today in this blog from my side , see you guys in the next one coming soon .